August 12, 2013

Mosquitoes and Beer: Ever So Much of Both

Far be it from me to go and give the good people at Alias Youth Hostel in Antwerp a bad name, but the truth is, when your blood is as delicious as mine is, mosquitoes become quite about the worst thing ever, and I'm a bit angry at these people for not trying a little harder to rid their rooms of them. 18 - and counting - itchy red welts are more than enough to keep me awake at 3:30 in the morning, as are the attentions of the suckers I haven't managed to hunt down and squash.

My bug-induced insomnia is thus forcing me to discuss beer, of which I have drank an unseemly amount over the past week. As a result, some of my descriptions are less than complete.

Brussels


Alken-Maes Ciney Brune
It had a malty aroma full of heat, which was perfect after the drizzly day I'd had in Brussels. Its flavour was very sweet and malty as well, but it finished surprisingly clean thanks to its moderately high carbonation.

De Koningshoeven La Trappe Bockbier
This one confused me quite a bit. Its sweetness in aroma and full flavours made me think of fruit at first, but the more I drank it, the more I began to taste caramel and nothing but. Mars Bar, anyone?

Leuven


Hoegaarden Grand Cru
Another one that seemed to overpower my senses with its lingering caramel flavour. Delicious indeed, and one I'll have to come back to and get a better handle on.

Alpaïde Donker
This one I actually had twice, once on the picture shown and then a second time the following day. The first time, I had written something ridiculous, short and mostly incorrect, but in my defense, it's a hard one to grasp. The second time, my drinking companion and I had just been discussing how I could pick out no flavours lately except caramel. When he took a sip of his he admitted he could also taste almost nothing but caramel, "with a little bit of coffee grounds in the bottom." I finally officially dubbed it "malty caramel with an espresso finish" and savoured every last drop. Twice.

Vedett Extra Blonde
I remember liking this beer, but all I seemed to have to say of it was that it "exploded" and finished sour.

Duvel Tripel Hop
The first sip of this one made me say, "Oh!" It was a complicated flavour. It had a grassy aroma, and began sweet but then seemed to fill out sour and biting. Its complexity prompted a conversation regarding the nuanced nature of describing a beer. I was always of a mind that there is one right way, but my drinking companion claimed that it can be far more personalized, like a farmer who is around hay all day describing a beer's colour as 'straw' instead of simply 'yellow.' I wasn't entirely convinced, but I did like that it gave me an excuse for undoubtedly describing half of these beers incorrectly.

Liefmans Gouden
Its aroma was of tart berries mixed with a strong yeasty beer scent. The flavour was also fruit dominant, and my exact words were, "It starts with apples and finishes with grapes."

 Huisbrouerij de Halve Maan's Brugse Zot
For this description I had to defer to the fellow across the table; by this point I was five Belgian beers deep and had more or less lost my ability to pick up flavours, never mind describe them. It had a floral aroma, and was simply put 'an extra strong blonde,' containing quite a hoppy charcharacter.

Rochefort 10
I wrote, 'Cloying and sweet with a strong, bitter finish, like cocoa,' which is frankly astoundingly articulate given the circumstances. Whatever possessed me to finish the evening with a beer like this one I'll never know. Still more amazing was the absence of a hangover the following morning, which I chalk up to the hearty Belgian 'stoofvlees' that I had prior... and a bit of luck.

De La Senne Taras Boulba
Clean, clear and hoppy with a sweetness downplayed by carbonation and hop presence.

Domus Amber
This was the house amber of the bar Domus, and it was certainly unusual. Its flavour was of honey, but was quite light and sweet all the way through.

Antwerp


Brouerij Roman Ename Blonde
Its strong honey notes hang in the centre of the tongue. It carries a hop aroma and taste that lingers in the finish, which is bitter and tastes a little of grass. Not my favourite Belgian, but worth trying for its subtleties.

De Koningshoeven La Trappe Tripel
Once I had ordered this beer, I became coincidentally trapped underneath the patio overhang by a torrent of rain that lasted a good hour or so. I chatted with the gentleman next to me, who upon hearing that I was visiting Belgium mainly for its beers, all but reproached me for drinking a Dutch beer. I assured him I had had my fair share of Belgian beers as well. It was strong and carried its alcohol proudly, blending a floral quality with a tangy orange, whiskey-like finish.

Rodenbach Classic
A cherry-like tartness overwhelms the palate with this one and the sourness lingers at length on the back of the tongue.

De Koninck Triple d'Anvers
This one was delightful, sweet yet light. Its heat hides behind a syrupy flavour, and it finishes with a slightly bitter, rye quality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment