August 10, 2013

Brussels and Leuven: Like a Spoiled Little Princess

I'm half way through Belgium and feel utterly and completely spoiled. I've been too busy having a terrific time to really bother recording much at all. Last night in particular was so much fun and spent in such good company that I gave up logging beers after my first one.

But let's do some pictures, shall we?

Brussels



I indulged in three nights in my very own room in Brussels. I don't think anyone has ever been so happy to see such a tiny little closet of a room. And check out breakfast!

     
See? I'm a princess!






The next few pictures were taken at the Da Vinci exhibit set up in the Bourse. It was all replicas or the executions of his sketches but all pretty neat nonetheless.



This copy of the Mona Lisa was meant to show what the painting would have looked like originally before all of its aging and restorations. They were able to find out based on an x-ray-like photograph taken of her a little while ago.


Da Vinci never built it, he only conceived of it. It's aerodynamically sound but physically would never fly given its tremendous weight. As a concept, it was basically Da Vinci predicting the modern helicopter.


Da Vinci's idea for a scuba suit. He actually pitched it to his patron as a military strategy involving having the army march under water and sneak attack ships Pirates of the Caribbean style.




The royal palace was open to the public in honour of their new king.










This was the most dreadfully soggy day of my trip so far. I practically swam my way to the Atomium. That's the view of Mini Europe from the top.


The famous Delirium Cafe and its menu.


I was quite surprised to come upon this statue of Peter Pan, which was featured briefly in the film Hook, a childhood favourite of mine. I was sure it was in London (and it is, this one is just a duplicate).



I went to the Brussels Conservatory for a quick, cheap midday concert before I left for Leuven. A flutist and a pianist played three pieces together, it was definitely a highlight.

Leuven




I'm such a sucker for canals.



One of my contacts in Leuven was a shameless self-promoter and couldn't resist giving me a less than humble tour of this his "studio apartment." I'm sure he'll forgive me for sharing this little snapshot of modern life in an historic Belgian béguinage. And for teasing him so mercilessly. I just had trouble conceiving that the guy actually lived there.


The bar in which I was introduced to the 'jenever' shot, a gin-based liqueur that comes in all kinds of flavours. "Hot Lips" was a big hit.


I'm not sure that I took this picture on purpose, but it certainly represents what I got up to in Leuven for those two days. Hedonism, that's what. Delicious, deep-fried, salty, spicy, saucy hedonism.

No comments:

Post a Comment