July 17, 2013

Copenhagen Part 2: A Little Night Music


I have been reflecting a lot on the fact that I'm traveling alone, and whether or not it's good or bad for me. Neurotic as I am, even after I had a lovely day getting lost on a rented bike in Norrebro, I still pored over internet articles on the subject over dinner, seeking validation for the fact that despite being alone on my trip, I feel no real need to meet new people. Here I sit, in the beautiful Vega nightclub just a few streets away from the hostel, and I'm happier sitting silently amidst the lovestruck couples and giggling, picture-taking bffs, listening to their incomprehensible Danish chatter than I would be making forced conversation with strangers from strange lands.

The truth is, the Danes are lovely people to just be around, and in some ways it's even more fun listening in on a conversation you don't understand than one you do. You can imagine that the man who took his and his wife's beer back twice has all kinds of crazy, informed things to say about the quality of the club's draught lines.

I've already learned a lot about traveling so far. Because I look pretty young for my age - I could probably still pass for a high school student - my trick to approaching anyone for anything is to look as innocent and helpless as possible. Even if they're a little annoyed that you aren't addressing them in Danish, they'll smile and help you out, especially if you giggle in embarrassment. This isn't a calculated move on my part: despite what all of my friends might say about me, I'm very timid. Like a flower, I only open up when I feel the sun come out, and no mere lamps will suffice either.




The show I'm seeing is an American singer named Trixie Whitley. I'm not picky, I would have gone to pretty much anything short of death metal. I mostly just wanted to put on my nice top and enjoy a night out, and since I'm alone and not the clubbing type, live music situated at a nice safe distance from my hostel was an excellent opportunity.

And wow. What a show. This woman gave every inch of herself during her set, so much so that when my fellows began a second encore, I was reluctant to join in for fear she would burst a vocal chord. And yet lo, she reappeared to thoroughly enrapture whichever fool had failed to fall in love with her before

No comments:

Post a Comment