July 14, 2013

Beyoncé Pad Thai Part 3

Awhile ago I added a suffix to my warrior name. My inner warrior’s full name is now Zelda Stormcrow Dreamchaser. She wears an eye patch over her missing right eye, has silver hair, and is a kick ass blend of modern renegade military soldier, fantasy sorceress and dragon-slaying knight.

My departure for Europe is now a mere 36 hours away, and ZSD has been on my mind a lot. I have no real expectations of my trip beyond seeing some beautiful sights, drinking some delicious beer and sleeping in some bug-ridden accommodations, but of course, the prospect that it will change both myself and my life is a little hard to ignore. But it’s not as if the Travel Gods just come down to earth with a clipboard and a checklist to find out what specifically about yourself and the way you live your life you’d like to have change while abroad.

This is why Zelda Stormcrow Dreamchaser has taken up such a large swathe of my imagination over the past couple of weeks. As a warrior, she is a master of the sword, bow, gun, martial arts, magical spells, riding horses, driving sports cars and being great. And these are all very important skills for an inner warrior to have. The only problem is, the demons I need to face abroad cannot be sliced, shot, punched, magicked or driven down. They need to be laughed at.

If ZSD is to be my symbol of fearlessness, then she has to stare down my phobia of being embarrassed and making mistakes , and not only know that she can turn them into dust in seconds, but do it with a twinkle of hilarity and mischief in her deep, dark eye.

And then go have a dance party.

No comments:

Post a Comment