June 07, 2013

Beyoncé Pad Thai

I’ve been getting some serious cold feet syndrome over the past few weeks. The more people come to me with encouragement and advice, the more I hear the sentence, “You’re gonna have soo much fun,” the scarier Europe seems to become. What if I burn out after four days? What if I hate every minute of it and the whole thing was a big waste? What if I don’t meet a single soul and spend the entire five weeks huddled in the hostel bathrooms sobbing?

One of the funniest moments to date in a great show called The Mindy Project – created by The Office’s Mindy Kaling – happens after Mindy receives advice from a friend of hers to create for herself an inner warrior to whom she can appeal when she’s faced with a difficult situation.

In the middle of a trying moment, the camera zooms in on Mindy as she whispers to herself...


I choked with laughter, not only because of the great warrior name but also because the impulse to imagine a stronger, better me has always been present, and seeing yourself reflected back at you in such a hilarious fashion is always delightful.

I don't have a warrior name yet, but maybe I should figure one out before I leave for Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment